Double J puts Girls to the Front for International Women’s Day this Thursday
Once again, we’re putting Girls To The Front this International Women’s Day, with a massive 24 hours of great music, stories and discussions from some of the most exciting names in music.
Across the day, both on air and online, we’ll showcase artists from at home and abroad who are making incredible music and making a difference in their respective scenes.
We’ve lined up a varied bunch of artists and we can’t wait to hear from them all across the day.
- Zan Rowe chats with Zimbabwean born, Melbourne-based artist Thando, who is making some of the best hip hop of anyone, anywhere, right now.
- The legendary Kim Deal joins Karen Leng on the day, to chat about the history of The Breeders and how their new album All Nerve fits in with it all.
- Tracey Thorn, formerly of Everything But The Girl but now working exclusively as a solo artist, chats with Caz Tran when she takes over Arvos for the day. She’ll take us through where she’s at as an artist right now and impart plenty of wisdom from her almost four decades in the game.
- The J Files celebrates the career of the great Deborah Conway. For almost 40 years, Conway has been an active and hugely important part of the Australian music landscape, firstly with her band Do-Ré-Mi, then as a hugely acclaimed solo artist. We’ll go deep on her immense back catalogue and chat the woman herself about the highs and lows of what has an astounding career thus far.
- And we bring you a very special conversation between Sydney singer-songwriter Alex The Astronaut, who is one of the most adored performers in the country right now, and legendary Go-Betweens drummer Lindy Morrison. These two women’s individual perspectives on creativity and the music industry will no doubt be completely fascinating.
On top of all that, the soundtrack for the day is going to be incredible.
We’ll be playing nothing but the best songs written and performed by women, all day long. And we’ll have some of the country’s finest female artists telling us about the women in music who inspire them.
Double J puts Girls to the Front for International Women’s Day, this Thursday 8 March.